Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Article: The Dangers of Overspiritualizing

I recently encountered this article, which I think contains an important message for those of us who are struggling to understand how soul and body are involved when coping with mental illness. It can be just as dangerous to categorize depression as a solely spiritual problem and refuse psychological help as it can be to categorize it as one that has no spiritual dimension at all. To recognize that experiencing depression, like any major medical illness, is going to affect our spiritual lives and our relationship with God is not the same as thinking depression can simply be "prayed away" any more than cancer can. Please, do not refuse the help God is offering to you through psychiatrists and therapists, and encourage others to seek the help that they need!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Karen. I've read through once, hastily, and should re-read. It took me the longest time to realize that some of my issues involved something other than intransigent sin. I was very resistant in the '90s to the notion that doctors could help.

    ReplyDelete